Musematic
Should it be more fun than my first life?

Posted by on Friday April 7 2006

Warning: Parameter 1 to keywords_appendTags() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/musematic/sites/musematic.net/html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 199

Filed under: Digital media andEducation

7 Responses to “Should it be more fun than my first life?”

1. Richard
    April 7th, 2006 07:30

Holly,

Oh that was you I was helping out! Just kidding, but now I’m curious about how many of us *are* running around (and into each other) in Second Life.

As part of my research this year I am exploring the affordances that Second Life might have for museums, particularly smaller institutions that can’t afford $3 million+ efforts like the Discover Babylon project. Keep your fingers crossed for a proposed panel at MCN 2006 that includes myself, Holly, Michelle Roper from DB and Walt Scacchi from the UC, Irvine Game Lab.

I haven’t found any publically available “official” museum spaces in SL yet, but the SL citizens have been busy creating their own in various forms. I think it’s important to note that in a world where anyone can create almost anything, people have decided that art, history, culture and museums are things we want to bring over from first life (And libraries, too!). And dancing, lots of dancing.

I’ve also been interested to see how people are modelling the real world in Second Life, even when it’s not necessary (e.g. I really don’t need a wall to hang that painting. But I’ve put one there anyway). I’m looking forward to seeing how museums adapt to this new environment and whether we make some of the same choices (OK, kiddie avatars, lets line up in a group and listen to the nice docent avatar.) I’ll also be looking for ways that SL frees us from some of the first life limitations.

To help facilitate future rendezvous, I’ve created a new SL group called “Museums in Second Life.” Come on over and join in! (Find – Groups, Search for Museums in Second Life).

See you online!

2. anne beaumont
    April 21st, 2006 12:55

Holly,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    For providing those of us like me who have been wondering about these experiences – but were too nervous to try for ourselves, some idea of what it will be like & so making it much less scary.
    And also for reminding us what it could be like for those unfamiliar with our work environments – museums, libraries, galleries (as we call art museums in Australia) . Too often we forget that.

3. Beth
    June 17th, 2006 08:36

Hey, the nonprofits are on information island. Come join us. TechSoup is there along with others libraries.

4. Rik Panganiban
    June 17th, 2006 09:59

It’s daunting at first, but I’ve had lots of really nice experiences with SLers helping me out and answering all sorts of newbie questions. There are a number of interesting art galleries , cultural spaces, and events. The “find” menu is your friend!

Enjoy.

- Rik Panganiban / SL: Rik Riel

5. Musematic » What if my American Girl doll had an avatar in Second Life named Michael Finnegan…
    November 14th, 2007 07:21

[...] fast forward to 2007.   Many of you know I have Secoond Life Terrors (http://musematic.net/?p=39)  and (http://musematic.net/?p=138) that have nothing to do with infinite loops but now, NOW, all [...]

6. jennifer
    February 14th, 2011 09:16

Great read. I found your blog on bing and i have your page saved on my personal read list!
    I’m a fan of your site. Keep up the good work

7. mich
    February 25th, 2011 04:43

I won’t be able to thank you enough for the posts on your web page. I know you place a lot of time and energy into these and really hope you know how considerably I appreciate it. I hope I could do the identical thing for another person sometime.